Sunday, March 7, 2010

The indulgence arrives in the nick of time

Probably had one of my busiest weeks at work this past week since starting the PCP. Month-end work plus a key project milestone equalled a very long and draining week. Missed one jumprope session and one exercise session, but otherwise stuck to the diet throughout the week. Once we got the go-ahead from Patrick on the indulgence, it really couldn't have come a second too soon for me. My friends were planning dinner/drinks for Friday, so I thought this would be the perfect way to end the week!

We went to this place called Billy's in Ebisu, where they have an excellent selection of international beers (and underrated food as well). Instead of planning on eating one dish (or meal) as my indulgence, I just decided to go to Billy's and be sensible, yet not go overboard. On the food front, I thought I accomplished what I wanted to. I naturally gravitated away from the fried foods that I used to partake in and ate mostly veggies (veggie sticks, avocado/tomato salad) and protein (chicken - buffalo wings-style) with a slice or two of tomato/basil pizza. Aside from the salt content, I think it was mostly PCP-friendly. The cool thing is that I didn't feel restricted or anything, I just gravitated towards what I wanted, and it felt satisfying to eat out as a treat.

Now on the drink front, things didn't go as planned. I planned on having only one beer, but I ended up having three:













Pipeline: Hawaiian beer (porter) made with 100% Hawaiian Kona Coffee (didn't really taste like coffee, but a very satisfying dark beer)
Viru: A light, easy to drink Estonian beer with a nice clean wheat flavor
Hoegarden: on tap, always good!
Funny enough, I wasn't affected by the alcohol as much as I usually am. And the next day wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (felt kinda sluggish - low energy, but no stomach problems). I guess it was just the fact that I was planning on having only one beer and I ended up having three that bugs me. One of my goals through PCP is to get to the point where I naturally gravitate towards healthier options, not because I feel I have to, but because I want to. On the food side, I think I am making good progress. On the alcohol side, I think I still have a bit to go. On the plus side though, the indulgence experience on the whole was a planned event, so in that respect things went okay.

6 comments:

  1. Erik, where is your stomach going? You are looking leaner and fitter each week. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard not to drink GOOD beer when it's in front of you. Yesterday I said I was going to limit myself to two, which I did, that was a big test for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right. The key is that you made the choices based on your "higher" faculties, you weren't just following your habitual patterns. That's already the change you're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indulgence? What is this concept...? I guess on day 8 I am just trying to get used to eating all this food to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good choice for your indulgence.Those beers look great. I'm curious about the Hawaiian one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm...Pipeline beer! Sounds good. I had the same issue with alcohol. Hard to stop at the one. Good work on the food front!

    ReplyDelete