Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 10

Wow, Week 1 went by much faster than anticipated. I was largely successful in sticking to the half portions and I was able to eat most of what I wanted before the diet portion became more "PCP" (although I forgot to eat McDonalds...looks like I'll have to put that one off for a while). On the exercise front, the muscle pain went away after Day 3 or so, so I was able to keep the pace and intensity of my sessions up! Overall I felt I had a good Week 1 and was looking forward to Patrick's email on Friday.

After doing the new plan for three days, here are some of my observations:

The exercise plan is definitely at a different level that Week 1.
- I was doing okay when the jumproping was in sets, but I have a ways to go in doing all 650-700 in one go. My best performance was doing them all in 2 sets, but today I digressed and had to break it down into 4 sets (resting about 15 seconds between). Looking to bounce back tomorrow.
- Squats/lunges are getting more difficult with the increased volume (as well as doing it after increased jumprope), but I am still able to get through them as directed. I like the upper body and arm stuff that has been put in!

The diet plan is challenging, but for different reasons than I expected.
- My experience has been similar to a lot of others who posted recently that the volume of food is actually a lot! To be honest, I am not used to these amounts of food, but I feel it is giving me even more incentive to workout as I feel like I am eating too much.
- My wife did a whole lot of cooking today to prepare for Monday. I usually eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at work (breakfast is usually bought while I bring lunch and dinner packed from home). Going forward, I will be bringing all three meals (plus two snacks - the last one I will have at home), and the amount of preparation needed was more than I expected. Another surprise both of us had was the daily amount of food required from the PCP. We made A LOT of food today (I thought at least 2 days worth), but after measuring and packing my breakfast, lunch, and dinner, we only had just enough left for dinner for the both of us tonight plus a little bit that we may be able to use to supplement Tuesday's meals. I am so grateful that my wife is so supportive of me on this!

I've been taking pictures of what I am eating, so I'll be posting those soon along with some descriptions. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing as well!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Erik! Great to hear that you'll be posting some pictures of some of the food you've been making so far. I love a good new recipe! Good luck with the PCP I'm sure you'll do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erik! Where in HI did you grow up? I am from Honolulu...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat eat eat! This is as much food as it'll ever be, so bear with it! You're not overeating, your daily calories haven't changed much at all. You're just eating more mass per calorie than the average bear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Naomi, I'm looking forward to seeing what other people are making as well! In the previous blogs, there seems to be lots of good ideas out there!

    Shivani, I grew up in Mililani (went to Mililani High School) and went to UH after that for my undergrad and grad degrees. I definitely would like to go back one day! Which part of Honolulu?

    Patrick, now that you put it that way, I will be sure to enjoy the volume while we have it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erik! I grew up in Hawai'i Kai. I went to Punahou (like Obama! not with Obama, but you know--same thing!)...wow! Isn't it the most beautiful place on earth? And an "easy" place to be healthy, I find...can't wait to go back.

    I'm struggling today. I want something SWEET! Hope you have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep at it, Eric. In regards to the junp rope, I still do it almost everday. And, I still have to stop when I'm tired or I trip. There are very few human beings I wager who can do 650 jumps straight through. You just keep going until you're done. Things will get smoother in time. If you read my blog, you know I battled through a sore left leg from time to time. I stopped when I needed to stop and got started again when I caught my breath, but I always finished my ropes. That is the most important thing. Even now, when I set my timer for anywhere from 10-21 minutes, I still stop to catch my breath. I'm no super roper. But I always keep going util my timer beeps. No matter how much you trip or need to catch your breath, just make sure you finish. Never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to know that our experiences are similar. I've been trying to do more jumproping without rest, but of course some days are more successful than others. Just like you said, the goal I always make sure I hit is completing the prescribed number of jumps per day, no matter how long it takes. Thanks a lot Sean!

    ReplyDelete